Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient (CCrISP)
4TH EDITION - HELD OVER TWO DAYS
CCrISP is an interactive course that explores the skills and knowledge needed to look after surgical patients, including those who are deteriorating or at risk of doing so.
Expert faculty will help you develop practical, theoretical and personal skills so that you can assess and manage critical situations in a systematic way.
CCrISP is relevant to all specialties, however in-course examples are predominantly taken from general surgical patients.
21 - 22, January 2020 (course full)
Course Convenor: Dr Andrew Castello-Cortes, Consultant in Anaesthetics & ITU
This course was developed and quality assured by the Royal College of Surgeons, www.rcseng.ac.uk/courses
After attending the course, you should be able to:
- Adopt a structured, comprehensive approach to managing surgical patients.
- Judge which patients are at most risk and plan to reduce their risk of adverse outcomes.
- Recognise the deteriorating patient.
- Model you non-operative technical skills in a safe environment.
CCrISP is an interactive course that combines a variety of teaching and learning techniques, such as simulated patient scenarios, case-based skill stations and demonstrations. You will be encouraged to share knowledge and experience with your peers throughout the course.
This is an asssessed course and a certificate of completion will be awarded to successful participants.
Candidates get the greatest benefit when CCrISP® is taken in the latter part of ST2. Candidates in the earlier part of specialist training (ST1) may also apply although it is strongly recommended they have four months General Surgery training at FY2, ST1 or ST2 level. Candidates at ST3 level and above, who have not successfully completed the CCrISP® course before, may also apply.
All participants on the course:
- Should have completed at least one year of specialist training (not including house jobs)
- Should have commenced general surgery
- Should ideally have completed an ATLS Course, although this is not a prerequisite.
Please note: FY2 grades are not accepted on CCrISP, even at the end of their FY2 year.
Course fee includes course manual, lunches and all refreshments.